POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I : Re: Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:31:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toroidal Weirdness (640kbu) MPEG-I
From: Mark Hanford
Date: 28 Oct 2002 11:32:10
Message: <3dbd668a$1@news.povray.org>
It is 3D (x,y,time) game, represented on a 2D surface.  The standard
rules require a cell with 8 neighbours to work, and the development of
"interesting" patterns depends on the game sitting on the border of
death and growth.  These rules are then represented on a
two-dimensional grid.  Due to the complexity of even simple
constructs, this is usually a very simple binary pattern, but with the
increase of computing power, I though it was time for a more
attractive version...

Other patterns have been implemented, such as hexagonal (6 neighbours)
or cubic (26 neighbours) but in these cases the rules have to be
different so that there's still a roughly even chance of a cell living
or dying.  (I couldn't articulate that last sentence accurately, but
you get the drift...)

10x10 square grid = 100 cells = about 800 calculation phases per
generation = about 1 million for a 1000 generations.
10x10x10 cubic grid = 1000 cells = about 26,000 calcs per generation =
26 million calculation phases...  POV SDL, whilst fabuloos, can only
go through loops so fast...

I might have a go at implementing a version of the cubic space, but
this causes the calculation time to increase HUGELY.  It would create
some great patterns, though ;)

Cubic 4D Life here I come...

--
Mark Hanford

Putting POV code on the web? Make it look pretty with POV2HTML...
http://www.hanfordonline.co.uk/povray